Healthy Kids Day® Ideas
On April 26, YMCA’s across the country are celebrating YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day® with free community events to get kids moving and learning, and families living healthier. Healthy Kids Day is the Y’s national initiative to improve the health and well-being of families and to help them get a jump on creating a healthier summer and we at KidzStuff fully support that idea!
“One in three U.S. children is obese. This statistic, coupled with the fact that once summer hits, children will be more idle, demonstrates why it’s important to help families develop healthy habits now,” said Jennifer Gardner, Executive Director of the YMCA. “As part of the Y’s commitment to healthy living, through YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day our goal is to improve the health and well-being of kids and inspire habits they can continue into adulthood.”
Healthy Kids Day will feature fun active play and educational activities that will inspire kids to carry a spirit of excitement and exploration throughout their summer. In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, and fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
Don’t forget to cover up your kids in one of our Insect Shield® Rompers or Sun Blocker™ Rompers when you take them out for this fabulous event! Save the date and bring your family to the Y for Healthy Kids Day®.