Five Surprising Dangers for Children in the Home

Anyone with a toddler running around their home knows a thing or two about childproofing. But even with the medications locked up and electrical sockets covered, there are still some potential safety hazards that can be overlooked.

Here are five items in your home that surprisingly, could be dangerous if left in the hands of an unattended child.

From clocks to TV remotes, tons of knickknacks and objects with batteries are lying around your home at any given moment. The most dangerous of these batteries are the “button batteries” that account for 85%of ER visits. Batteries contain chemicals that can burn through your children’s esophagi if swallowed. Keep things like watches and electronics away from them or tape up the battery compartments to make them difficult to open.

Dishwasher hazards for toddlers and small children include easy access to dangerous kitchen utensils, like sharp knives and forks. Detergent can irritate your child’s eyes and skin. To avoid accidents, empty your dishwasher each time you run it. Also keep a close eye on children when they are with you in the kitchen.

Latex Balloons
Kids love balloons, but they can also be a huge choking hazard. If swallowed, balloons can get caught in their windpipes, potentially causing suffocation. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), more children have choked on latex balloons than any other toy. Don’t let small children blow up balloons, and never leave them alone playing with balloons.

Mom’s Purse
Loose change, hand sanitizer and gum are all convenient items to keep in your purse, but can be dangerous things for your little one to get a hold of. Make sure you keep your purse zipped up, and keep it somewhere out of reach of curious children.

Both in the bathroom and kitchen, water can be a danger to small children. Never leave toilet seats up; bathtubs or sinks filled with water; or mopping supplies unattended. Believe it or not, children can drown in as little as one inch of water. It is also recommended to set your home’s water heater to 120 degrees to reduce the risk of burns.

Your home is your sanctuary. While there’s no need to be paranoid by being aware of potential safety hazards ranging from coins to batteries to sharp objects, you can help protect your children from potential injury, illness or poisoning.